Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Teachers

So this is gonna be a little lengthy (and probably sappy) but a friend posted something earlier today about teachers and how they should remember to act towards and be towards their students. And it really, really struck a cord with me and has been running around inside my head all day. I had a lot of instances in elementary school where I was yelled at, embarrassed and just basically made to feel like I was worse than worthless and unwanted. By teachers! They weren't afraid to make me cry or talk about how dirty I was or how difficult I was being, to the other teachers, or more importantly, in front of the other kids. I just remember so much of my childhood being mortified, before I even knew what the word was! They didn't know my home life. They didn't know what I had already been through in my very short time on earth. All they knew was that they could say or do whatever they wanted; they were in charge. That was a lesson I learned very young. Adults don't always protect you and are usually the ones that hurt you. But for those teachers that hurt me, there were others that did so much good for me and made me feel like I wasn't a complete waste of space! They never did anything extreme. Just simple, every day things really. They were nice to me. They told me I did a good job. They encouraged my passions (namely reading and writing). Even if they did get frustrated with me, they didn't show it. They treated me like everyone else. And for me, that was major! We never know the difference we can make in the life of a child, especially in one that doesn't have much self esteem or confidence. So for all my teacher friends, please remember that you may be the ONLY brightness in a child's life. Please act accordingly! And to Mr Ralf Trusty and Mrs Ruthie Nelson. Thank you for being a light in my childhood. Rather you know it or not, you really have made a difference in someone's life. And I know I'm not the only one to feel that way. You are wonderful people and I am very blessed to have had you as my teachers. God bless you both!

No comments:

Post a Comment