Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Family Struggles

There's a quote that I really love and that always stands out to me around the holidays. "Like branches on a tree. We all grow in different directions but our roots remain as one."
Our family isn't perfect. There's been times where we've stopped talking to one another. There's been times where we've all made mistakes. There's even been times where I didn't know if I'd ever see certain family members again. But like the quote says, our roots remain the same. Sometimes, if we're very lucky, we find our way back to one another. And what we all have to remember is that tomorrow isn't promised. No matter what someone's done to you in the past, we are family. And there's not that much of us left. Our children are growing up and will one day have their own families and as much as we talk about them, our memories are not theirs. They won't know about the tire swing. Or old man Owen. Or the dang mean emu's of Leonard's. Or know the greatest man any of us ever knew. One day those memories will be gone, along with us. So appreciate today. Love each other while we have the chance. Forgive past grievances and concentrate on today. Not a one of us are perfect but every single one of us are worth it, I promise! You will be amazed at what a simple phone call or text message can do to mend a relationship or heartache. Or how much it might mean to someone. Even if I don't see you very often, or I only cross your mind on occasion; every day you're in my thoughts and prayers. I pray that we always find our way back to each other and that we all know that we are loved. And with that I'll leave you with another quote that I'm pretty fond of. "Forgive others. Not because they deserve it but because you deserve peace!"
I love each of you and am so grateful for our dysfunctional, crazy wonderful family! Merry Christmas and I wish you each health and happiness in the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment