Wednesday, June 3, 2015

A Mother's Prayer


Oh my sweet baby girl. Today is your 13th birthday and while you seem to be pretty nonchalant about the whole thing, I am a great big bundle of emotions right now. 4,748 days ago, you made me a mother. The title that makes me happier than anything ever has. A title that I never thought I'd be given. I've never claimed to be perfect. I know I've messed up plenty and will again and again. But you've never once held it against me. You've loved me unconditionally and I thank you for that. I know I've missed things. Taken things for granted. Not appreciated things. And yet you still think I'm the greatest mom in the world. I know every mother thinks they are messing their children up at least once a day. And I'm sure I have given and will give you plenty of things to talk about one day on a psychiatrists couch. But I want you to know that the day you were born was the best day of my life (shh, don't tell your father). And every day I am grateful for you. You are not the little girl I pictured. You make me question my sanity frequently. You march to the beat of your own drum for sure. To paraphrase Dr. Seuss, you weren't born to fit in but to stand out. And you do it wonderfully. You add color to this world and to my life. I could not imagine a life without you. You are what made us a family. And I'm so glad God gave us you. And my prayer for you is this.
I pray that you always seek God in everything you do. He loves you more than anyone else ever has or ever will. Yes even more than me. He knew you before you were born and called you by name. Many people will hurt and disappoint you. But if your faith and trust is in Him, He will never leave you or forsake you.
I pray that you continue to have a helping and caring heart. We are all just trying to get by in this world and everybody at one point or another will need a helping hand. I pray that you actively look for those in need and reach out to them. Nobody ever became poor by giving. And you'll find that the more you help others, you are the one being helped.
I pray for your health and safety. Oh Lord, do I pray He keeps you safe. I pray that you eat more veggies and less burgers. That you drink a ton of water. That you exercise at least 20 minutes every single day. That you look both ways before crossing the street. That you remember how to defend yourself and escape from bad guys. That you're careful around sharp objects. That you never fail to wear your seatbelt and stay at or below the speed limit. Oh Lord, please keep my baby girl safe and healthy. But if you do get sick or hurt. I pray that you have inner peace in knowing that even though our earthly bodies will one day waste away, our spirits will live forever in His kingdom.
I pray that your life has more happiness and laughter than it does heartache. But I do pray for some heartache (but just a little). Because through heartache we learn how to truly heal and we find an inner strength and determination in ourselves that is awesome to behold. You really have no idea how strong you can be until you have no other choice.
I pray that you find something in your life that gives you great joy. And you use that joy to lead others. That you let your light shine so brightly that you help guide others to their own lights. One of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite authors C.S. Lewis is "Don't shine so that others can see you. Shine so that through you, others can see Him!"
I pray that you never lose your love of reading. How great is it that we can read something written hundreds of years ago and the words still hold true today? How wonderful is it that through reading we know that others have felt the same emotions and thoughts as we have? That we can connect with people from across the world and throughout generations all because of the written word? Gives me chills!
I pray you never ever stop learning new things. That you always keep a curious mind. Find out how things work. Take them apart and put them back together. Pour over that problem until it makes sense to you. And if you can't figure out how or why on your own, find someone that does know and pester them until they show you. There is always going to be people better and smarter than us. But that's how we learn. We ask questions. We tinker. Don't be afraid to ask questions. And if one person won't give you the answer you need, find someone that will. The answer is always there somewhere. We just gotta dig it out.
I pray that you have good friends. Not necessarily a lot of them. But a few really good ones. Ones that though may not always agree with you, are always there for you. Even when they're mad at you. Even when they're busy. Even when they're miles away. And I pray that you are that friend as well to them.
I pray that you one day meet a man that only loves God more than he loves you. That he falls to his knees in prayer before he falls to his knee for your hand. That he respects you. That he adores you. That he rubs your feet when they're cold. Who kisses you with both tenderness and passion and who never stops looking at you like you hung the moon. And I pray that you do the same for him. That when you are both tired and cranky, when you're trying to learn how to build a household together and most months have more month than money, that neither of you lose sight of your love and commitment to not only each other but to God. That when you get angry with each other that you turn to prayer and the bible instead of harsh words.
And I pray that if and when you decide that you're both ready for children, that God blesses you with a child as colorful, and crazy, and fun, and loving, and smart, and perfect as He did me.
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment